Saturday 19 September 2009

Lookie, lookie, I got Hookie!

"Have to fly, have to fight, have to crow, have to save Maggie, have to save Jack, Hook is back." I'm 23 years old now and Hook is still one of my favourite films. Critics hated it but everybody else loved it. Directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts and Bob Hoskins, it still brings a tear to my eye when Peter Banning realises he's the Pan. It's strangely ironic how a film about growing up and Peter Pan (or the boy who wouldn't grow up) makes me reminisce about my own childhood and makes me wish I never grew up. As a kid I always wanted to be Peter Pan and have adventures like the lost boys. When I was in primary school my friend Moses told me if I stared at the sun I would be able to fly like Peter Pan but it would only work if I jumped off of something high. So I used to jump of the bed when I got home at night. Thinking about it now he doesn't sound like much of a friend, trying to blind me and get me to jump off of high things. The film's themes of children, adulthood and the loss of innocence combined with the reality that even Peter Pan had to grow up make this film appeal to more than just the target audience. If you haven't seen it you need to, no matter how much you've grown up. It's Bangarang Peter! Rufio, Rufio, Ru-fi-ooooo!



Click here for more

No comments:

Post a Comment